You’ve just gotten a pretty good grip on your business’s Facebook page and now the layout is undergoing a huge change. What gives!?
Rest assured, there’s no need to panic! The new Facebook Timeline for Businesses creates amazing opportunities to deliver your brand message and engage in high quality interaction with your customers. We’ve laid out all the elements of Facebook that are changing to help you make the transition without breaking a sweat!
The first thing you should know is that you have time to play around with your Timeline page before everyone else sees it! Although all business pages will automatically switch on March 30th, you can now use “preview mode” to edit your Timeline and play around with the new features before publishing it for everyone to see.
A large image that spans the top of your page.
- Creates immediate visual appeal for your page!
- You can use this large image to convey your brand message with a custom design.
- No banner ads allowed! Your cover photo cannot include:
- Price/purchase information
- Contact information (email address, phone number, address)
- Facebook features such as “like” or “share”
- Calls to action
The new and improved version of your wall includes posts by you and others plus great new features!
- By default, posts are ordered chronologically, with the most recent content at the top. However you do have some control on the content displayed:
- Hide any posts you don’t want on your Timeline without actually deleting them forever. (They’ll stay in your “Activity Log”).
- Make posts “featured!” Simply click the star icon on a great post and it will enlarge to span both columns of your Timeline.
- You can now change the date on posts to alter where it appears on the Timeline.
- Addicted to “pinning”!? You can now do it on Facebook too. Pin an important post to the top of your page and it will stay at the very top, no matter what else is posted to your wall, for up to 7 days. (We suggest making a post like this weekly).
- Timeline now highlights activity between your business and the friends of people who view your page.
- Milestones: Feature important moments in your business’s history with Milestones.
- Milestone posts are larger and more prominent on your timeline and can even include photos
- Easily create a milestone, past or present with the status update box!
- Examples: new program launch, reaching 1,000 likes on Facebook, opening a new location.
It is now super easy to manage your page with everything in one place:
- Insights/Facebook analytics
- Fan activity
- People who recently “liked” your page
- Edit page
- Create ads
- Help center
- Activity Log
- Go here to find and edit any old posts:
- Hide posts
- Delete posts
- Star posts to be featured and span both columns of Timeline
- Change the dates of posts
- See your Facebook activity in a variety of ways with different filter options.
- Go here to find and edit any old posts:
No more default landing page, but larger, more prominent thumbnails for your most important application tabs.
- The application tabs are now much larger but not all of them are visible!
- The tabs for your applications will be displayed right under your cover photo, with larger thumbnail photos.
- You can create custom images for your application tabs!
- Although you can have up to 12 applications, only 4 are visible at a time.
- “Photos” is the first visible tab by default, you can edit the order of the rest of your tabs to make sure your most important content is seen.
- There are no more default landing tabs to welcome new people to your page! Your cover photo, About Us, and pinned posts should convey the message you’d like new followers to see.
- Your customers can now send direct messages to you to have a private conversation.
- Business pages cannot send someone a message without receiving one from that person first.
- Messages are a great, private way to respond to customer service inquiries!
- Messages can be disabled if you know you will not be responding in a timely manner.
Now you know the big changes that are coming to your Facebook Business Page! There are many other little edits being made to the pages, but they are minor and nothing to worry about. Here are a few extra things to be aware of:
- Your profile picture/avatar is now a square!
- The “About” section is more prevalent, featured directly underneath your avatar. Be sure to write a great, concise description of your company and include your website!
- Images and videos will really stick out on the Timeline so make sure to post tons of visual content.
- Timeline will make it very apparent if you are inactive for long stretches of time so be sure to stay active on Facebook, engage, and post lots of great content!
You have all the info, so now what? Visit your Facebook Business Page now, enter “preview mode” and start getting acquainted with all the features we’ve discussed.
Ready to make your page stick out? Contact DanceFit Marketing for custom cover photos, logos, thumbnail images and more.